The Prince Albert Parkland Health Region welcomes you as a surgery patient.
Surgery Preparation Pamphlet
A pre-op physical must be done by your family doctor prior to your surgery date. Your surgeon’s office will make pre-admission arrangements for you. You may be required to have a medical pre-anaesthetic appointment and/or a pre-admission appointment prior to the surgery.
Prior to Surgery
Contact your surgeon and Victoria Hospital if:
- You are unable to keep your appointment
- You develop a cold or other illness
- You are uncertain about the time of your surgery
- You are having a hip or knee replacement and have open sores or scratches on your body.
- Phone Client Scheduling at 306-765-6164 one day prior to your surgery by 4 p.m. to confirm admission and surgery times. If your surgery is on Monday, please call the hospital on Friday.
- Bathe or shower and wash your hair within 24 hours of your surgery to reduce the chance of infection.
- Remove rings and body piercing jewelry at home. If they cannot be removed see a jeweler to have them removed (cut off) ( risk of electrical shock or cutting off circulation).
- Remove all makeup and nail polish prior to coming to the hospital.
- Bring housecoat, slippers, toothbrush, comb, razor, shampoo only if you are being admitted overnight.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing.
- Before going to the operating room you must remove hair pins, wig, contact lenses, and underwear.
- Eat or drink anything after midnight.
- Smoke, chew gum or snuff, eat candies or lozenges after midnight or the morning of your surgery.
- Take diabetic medication, ASA or water pills after midnight or the morning of surgery.
- Take any street drugs 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Drink alcohol 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Wear fragrances, hairspray, scented deodorants, body washes or after shave.
If Your Child is Having Surgery
- A parent/guardian must accompany a child who is under the age of 18, who is a dependant, and must sign the necessary forms. You must remain in the hospital for the duration of your child’s stay.
- Please ensure your child does not eat, chew gum or candy, or drink before surgery.
- Bring your child’s favourite toy or blanket.
- Your child having surgery will need your full attention. Please leave other children at home or make alternate arrangements.
- If your child is on formula, bring a prepared bottle with you as well as diapers as required.
- One parent or guardian must accompany the child to the operating room holding area.
- Parents are to wait in the Day Surgery waiting room.
- Children under the age of 10 years must be accompanied home by a responsible person in addition to the driver.
Day Surgery Unit
The Day Surgery Unit is open Monday – Friday at 6:45 a.m.
- If your surgery is scheduled between 7:45 and 9 a.m., please be in admitting prior to 6:30 a.m.
- For surgery booked later than 9 a.m., please arrive two hours before your surgery time.
- Please go to the Registration Desk when you arrive at the hospital.
The Prince Albert Parkland Health Region does not assume responsibility for valuable and personal belongings. Do not bring jewelry such as watches, rings, earrings, neck chains or body jewelry. Please do not bring large amounts of money or credit cards.
You will be having some type of anaesthetic or medication. You will not be allowed to drive yourself home. Please make arrangements in advance for transportation home.
You must have a capable and responsible adult available to assist you for at least 24 hours after discharge.
Your discharge time will vary depending on the surgery and type of anaesthetic.
The Day Surgery department closes at 7:30 p.m. Your ride must be available by 7 p.m.
Important Telephone Numbers
SCHEDULING OFFICE 306-765-6164
DAY SURGERY UNIT 306-765-6254
VICTORIA HOSPITAL 306-765-6000
You have our assurance that we look forward to caring for you and wish you a speedy recovery! We want you to receive the best possible care with the greatest personal consideration.
We value quality, safe care!