The Saskatchewan Health Authority has programs that assist people who have chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, heart and pulmonary disease.
LiveWellTM with Chronic Conditions and LiveWell with Chronic Pain
This program is available throughout the Prince Albert area.
To help participants obtain information, learn new skills and abilities, and develop higher levels of confidence to manage and cope with chronic health conditions. The program is for caregivers and /or individuals who have a chronic health condition such as:
- Chronic pain
- Heart disease
- Chronic lung disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Stroke/spinal cord injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Kidney disease
LiveWell with Chronic Conditions Program Brochure
LiveWell with Chronic Pain Program Brochure
To take control of your chronic illness rather than the illness controlling you. Self –management skills include:
- Problem solving and action plans
- Cognitive symptom management
- Fatigue and symptom management
- Advanced care directives
- Use of medications
- Dealing with fear, anger and depression
- Communication with others
At this time, in-person workshops are on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic. There are two alternate program options that are available:
LiveWell with Chronic Conditions/Pain Workshops - During the Covid-19 Pandemic Poster
Phone Workshop (Group Program Using Audio)
A trained peer leader “meets” with groups of 2-4 participants for 1 hour, once per week, for six consecutive weeks. This group will “meet” over the phone using a teleconference phone number. Participants only need a phone to participate. Each participant receives a Tool Kit for the group which includes:
- A booklet, which begins with a Self-Test that will help you decide where you want to focus.
- The Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions (or Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain) book.
- A relaxation CD with four different relaxation exercises.
- An exercise CD with three different levels of exercises (LiveWell with Chronic Conditions), or the Moving Easy Program CD (LiveWell with Chronic Pain), all of which can be done at home
Virtual Workshop (Group Program Using Video)
Two trained peer leaders “meet “with groups of 8-12 participants for approximately 2 ½ hours, once per week, for six consecutive weeks. This group will “meet” virtually (with video), using a Webex program. Participants must have internet access, and a computer, tablet or phone with video capabilities. The Program Coordinator will meet with each participant prior before the start of the first session to assist in setting up and testing the technology. Each participant receives a reference book called Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions (or Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain with Moving Easy CD).
The emphasis for these programs is on building skills for managing your health and maintaining an active and fulfilling life. There is no cost for either program.
Referrals can be made by self, family member or health care professional.
LiveWell with Chronic Conditions and Pain Referral Form (Fillable PDF)
Virtual Group Session Information and Consent
Participants registering for Phone or Virtual workshops must review, sign and return the attached consent form prior to the first session
Virtual Group Session Information and Consent (Fillable PDF)
- We are now accepting referrals and registrations for Phone and Virtual Workshops. Please contact the Coordinator to add your name to the wait list for an upcoming class.
- The first Virtual Workshop in Prince Albert will begin in February 2021!
- Workshop dates, times and locations change based on enrollment. Weekend and evening classes, as well as rural locations are offered upon demand.
For more information on classes or to register for the LiveWell with Chronic Conditions or LiveWell with Chronic Pain programs call 1-877-747-4363, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Leader Training Opportunities
Volunteer opportunities to co-lead this six week program are also available. Leaders receive four full days of training and a leader’s manual. Please call us if you are interested in sharing the tools that help people with chronic health problems improve their lives. Training availability is limited at this time. Please contact the Coordinator to add your name to the wait list for upcoming trainings delivered either virtually or in-person.
PEER LEADER TRAINING POSTER