Public Health Inspectors conduct inspections of public eating establishments on routine and complaint basis.

The Food Safety Regulations, Public Eating Establishment Standards and The Bakeshop Regulations are used to ensure the public is safe. Public health inspectors inspect restaurants, temporary food events, bakeries and delis. Public health inspectors also offer safe food handler courses and provide food safety information.

Restaurant Inspection Information

There are approximately 5,000 restaurant type facilities in Saskatchewan. In the Saskatchewan Health Authority - Prince Albert and area these facilities are subject to inspection by the Environmental Health Department public health officers who inspect to determine compliance with The Food Safety Regulations and standards. This online service provides the public with a public health inspection summary concerning the results of each inspection.

Safe Food Handlers Courses

Public Health Inspectors conduct safe food handlers courses throughout Prince Albert and area to educate food handlers. The schedule for Food Handlers Course is found here.

If the dates offered above do not suit your needs an online course is available for you to take home and complete at your own schedule. You then arrange to write the exam in the office once the course is completed. Please call 306-765-6600 for more information.

External courses are also available for groups by contacting the following reputable presenters:

Food Safety Information

For more information on food safety visit the following websites:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Index of Food Recalls
Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Consumer Centre - Food Safety Tips
CRFA - Canadian Restaurant and Foodservices Association

Temporary Food and Drink Concession Applications

To assist in the safe operation of temporary food service events, temporary food services must comply with the temporary food service/food vendor guidelines. Any group wishing to hold a temporary food service event must follow safe food handling practices and may require to be licenced. Temporary facilities operating more than six days will need to be licensed by the local authority. However, if the volume of food will be high or the type of food is deemed potentially hazardous, the local authority may issue a licence with conditions even if the event is less than six days.

Approval from a Public Health Inspector must be received before the operator opens the concession.

BizPaL: Starting or growing a business?

BizPaL is an online service that simplifies the business permit, licence and other compliance regulation process for entrepreneurs, governments, and third party business service providers.